Thursday 27 July 2017

Dunkirk #3 - last unseen photos from my collection

Since the last post I put up, there has been a bit of interest in my Dunkirk photos (to say the least), and they've been featured on the websites of the Daily Mail, the Express, the Sun, the Mirror and Bild, plus an article in the printed version of the Times.

I am of course pleased, and amazed, by the level of interest in them, but the articles don't link back to the blog unfortunately, so whether people will see the new photos below - I don't know!

Anyway, here are three final photos. Two are taken from a ship, looking towards Dunkirk and De Panne. The last one is another of captured troops - in this instance men from a Scottish Regiment - and I am sure someone will inform me which one. This is one of my favourite photos, purely for the expressions on the POWs faces - of defiance.

I hope you've found these interesting - I'll be posting items regularly from now on - when I get a chance!


Oil tanks on fire in Dunkirk, with clouds of billowing smoke visible for many miles.

Albert Henry Powell was a lorry driver in the Royal Signals and had been in France since January 1940. His unit was attached to the 3rd Corps, Medium Artillery HQ. He was on the beach, and describes his experiences in an account on the BBC People's War site:

"On the beaches we huddled together in the sand dunes for protection from the constant bombing and machine gunning from the air. The bombing was ineffectual, just blowing up loads of sand, but the machine gunning was another matter. 

Lying across the scene was a huge cloud of smoke coming from the oil tanks on fire in Dunkirk."




This photo is captioned 'La Panne' however it seems that it is most likely to be the oil refinery to the west of Dunkirk (thanks @dunkirk1940).


The expressions of these POWs show a mixture of fatigue and defiance. I believe these men are from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders,therefore this photograph may have been taken after the fall of St Valery en Caux, but this is an educated guess so feel free to correct me.

No comments:

Post a Comment