Monday 3 July 2017

What is Imprints of WWII all about?

I have been collecting items relating to WWII for a number of years. Not weapons, uniforms, equipment or anything like that. I don't get fascinated by bayonets or medals, so I am afraid I won't be sharing any photos of these as I don't have any.

My interest is in the printed material - the old fading photos, the documents carefully folded kept in shoe boxes, and the long forgotten letters which have been held by people for many years, but then sadly often get discarded. These are all items which have a direct link to the men, women and children who lived through the Second World War.

Most of the items I will be sharing have been picked up at flea markets, car boot sales, junk shops, auctions and the like. I don't spend a lot on collecting, as there is actually little monetary value associated with most of these items. But they do have a value - their value is that direct link with history.

Some of these items are personal items and unique, others were mass produced and were then thrown away once their use was fulfilled. I will be posting items from many nations. The majority will be from the UK, as that is where I live and where most of these items have been purchased, but there will be documents and photos from other countries too. 

I have built up quite a large collection, and I realised that these items should be seen more widely, therefore I have created this blog. I hope to post regularly, as I have a lot of items to share. Please feel free to comment on the posts, and provide suggestions, corrections and any feedback.
I will also be posting on Twitter (@wwiistories) so please also follow me there.

Finally, if you have any family photos, documents or ephemera from the period that you'd like shared on the site, please get in contact - I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

A word about reproducing images
I am happy for people to reuse images from this blog, but please quote the source and provide a link back (and let me know!). If you want to use any images for commercial use, please contact me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment